The Quietest Rebel

A woman constantly thinking about sustainable industry, politics, music, biology, movies, industrial design, AIDS/HIV orphans in Uganda, ousting the current administration, loving the little children, civil liberties and local agriculture. Also obsessed with the evil that results from carelessly spread cases of naturalistic fallacy (see Hubert Spencer).

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Its the little things

Last year, when I learned about the connections between parabens and cancers (and petrochemicals absorbing directly throught the skin in general) I was hesitant to make moisturizer changes because I'm very picky about the texture of what I put on my face. I had only recently switched from Estee Lauder to Jack Black at the time - a men's product but practically weightless and with 20 spf and 50% cheaper than Lauder. I tried Juice but the texture was thick and I didn't like the smell. Burts Bees wasn't doing it for me either.

When I found Korres, I was able to go straight home and toss every old lotion with any type of paraben straight into the trashcan with no regrets. They were the first homeopathic pharmacy in Greece and have created hair, skin and face lines with absolutely NO petrochemicals - not even mineral oil. If you can't find them locally, you can always get them at Sephora.

The Pomegranate balancing face mousturizer is heaven. After using it for a few days, I realized that I no longer needed as much lotion on my face and that it felt a lot less dry after washing. Despite the fact that they use only plant derived effective ingredients, they're still 50% cheaper than Estee Lauder (one jar is $23.50 or so, I used to pay $32.50 for my Lauder). Their Acacia conditioner is also probably the best I've ever used.

So now I don't have worry about absorbing toxins all day from the things I'm putting on my skin to protect me. That's a huge weight off my back.

I can't wait until companies like Korres, Juice, Burt's Bees and Dr. Hauschka start eating up enough market share to make all the big, dept store brands take notice and come out with pertrochemical-free lines. Until they do, stop giving Clinque and Este Lauder and Christian Dior your hard earned cash for a bottle of ultra cheap chemicals with perfume splashed on top.

WHAT YOU CAN DO: Go in your bathroom right now and look at the ingredient lists on all your different lotions. Look for any word with "paraben" at the end of it - methylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, etc. Those are the companies that don't give a crap about your health and are WAY overcharging you for the toxic crap they're shilling.

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like korress products too. However, THEY ARE NOT PARABEN-FREE. I checked, although Korres does not list any parabens in their ingredients, this is a line from Greece, and they list only the main ingredients, not everything. If you read what they have to say on their website www.korres.com, they make several claims, but they never claim that their products are paraben-free.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home